Monday, June 16, 2008

Only at Camp...


The sun has gone down on my first full day as Site Director at Shores of St. Andrew Bible Camp. It has truly been one of the finest days of work that I have ever had - and the best part is that there are plenty more to come. It is hard to imagine having a bad day at camp so early in the summer - I know it's possible, but for right now, I am just going to savor the sweet feeling of a great day.


This morning I had the privilege of sharing about Lutheran theology with a group of teenagers who decided to spend a week at camp devoting themselves to learning how to be leaders in their congregation. At lunch today, I joined some counselors in an A.D.E (After Dinner Entertainment) that I created 9 years ago when I was a counselor ("Hooked on a Feeling" for those of you who remember.) This afternoon I ran around with the kids during the counselor's hour off, playing "Fishy Fishy" tag - getting a chance to see just how out of shape I am. This evening, I led the devotion at the staff meeting, speaking God's word into to their exhausted and spirit thirsty souls. After the meeting, I heeded my own advice and took some time to recharge my own batteries and went for a run. Ahh, only at camp can so much be packed into one day! Then, while sitting in my office to update my blog with new pictures - I caught yet another beautiful sunset on Lake Andrew while listening to excited campers sing their hearts out at the lakeside campfire worship service. It truly has been a wonderful day.


As I retreat to my new summer home to catch some much deserved shut-eye, I reflect on all of God's blessings this day. It's amazing how life's troubles just seem to float away in this place full of so much innocence, energy, faith and fun. I feel like I should write so much more to you, but I just can't seem to stay on the page right now. I feel so light and peaceful. I'm just going to trust my instincts and call it a day. Good night friends - I'll save the rest for another time. God's peace to you wherever life is leading you.


"This is the day the Lord has made, let us rejoice and be glad in it." Psalm 118:24


So very, very, very true.

No comments: