Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Graduating

I graduated from seminary and am now on my way to becoming a Pastor. This accomplishment feels great to be sure. But, as incredible it is to finish grad school and all, there is another graduation which has occurred that in some way feels slightly better: Two weeks ago, just after completing seminary, I also graduated from the school of manual transmission driving. In other words, I can check "learn to drive a stick shift" off my bucket list! I think I beamed to my family and friends more about this accomplishment than having just spent four years filling my brain with Bible knowledge, leadership practices, missional imagination and what someone means by eschatological hope.(In the end times we have nothing to fear because of what Jesus has done in his life, death and resurrection.)

I re-played the concept of driving stick over and over in my head after those initial lessons with Borna. Clutch. Brake. Gears. But it was in South Dakota with John and JoAnn that completed the circle of training. There I was given freedom to drive day after day in the open country roads, with little fear of hitting a parked car or rolling backwards down a hill at a stoplight. Sure I'm still in the beginner stages - I kill the engine, peel out, forget to put the clutch in when I start it up, etc. But I'm starting to really get the touch, and I've gotta say, I feel a little invincible. I suddenly have this incredible urge to go and test drive a Ferrari. Perhaps I'll just take these skills to the arcade and test them out on the video game version of sports cars or wait until I get into the rural places once again and borrow someone's beat up pickup truck. Either way, I can say with joy that I've learned the one skill that eluded me for a long time and made me feel so inadequate whenever someone would ask, "Who can drive a stick?" And I'd have to hang my head or sheepishly reply, "Um.. I'd rather not, I don't know how, I've only done it once..." Those days are behind me. I realize every car is a bit different of course, but I understand both the concept and have had time to "feather the clutch" and cultivate "the touch," thereby proving that with enough determination and curiosity, we can in fact re-wire our brains. 

This skill definitely would have proved useful during college when I was frequently a designated driver. This skill could have been better utilized in Europe when my Dad did all the driving on our Ireland vacation. But now... now when someone needs me to drive their car and asks, "Can you drive a stick shift?" I can say with confidence, "Yes I can!" So, I'd like to thank all who have let me watch their feet on the pedals over the years, including my Dad, my father-in-law John, my wife's Aunt JoAnn, Cody, and my good friend Borna for making this dream come true. Together with their patience, encouragement and instruction, I can hold my head high and boldly accept any car (or tractor) driving opportunities that come my way from now on.

No comments: