Wednesday, September 4, 2013

A Big Man's Dilemma

Over the last couple of years (since I turned 30) I have been gaining weight. I went through a great weight-loss phase in my twenties, somehow shedding close to 100 lbs beginning with my 250 plus offensive lineman days in High School. At my ten year reunion, many of my classmates didn't recognize me, so I knew things were on the up and up as far as managing my weight. Well, those days are long gone as we all can sadly attest.

Throw in a job in the ministry where grandmas love to bake delicious mouth-watering treats and expect you to eat, eat, eat and now we have a recipe for disaster. Slow metabolism + people pleaser + non-active lifestyle = twenty pounds I don't need. Now, I am still loads lighter than my worst days when I was rockin' a 42 size jeans and eating whole boxes of mac n' cheese in one sitting. However, my dilemma is that my weight now is severely limiting my wardrobe options. I can fit into like two pairs of nice slacks and a handful of shorts during the summer. Those medium sized t-shirts - forget it, I might as well be a spandex model. I have zero blue jeans options. None. Unfortunately for me, my the jeans that I could fit into ripped at the crotch while out on a visit a few months ago. I should've been more embarrassed or nervous that I was exposed, but I was honestly cursing inside because I knew I just lost my only blue jeans indefinitely.

So what's a big man to do? I tried to purchase new blue jeans, but I am in between sizes apparently. I have been doing my best at watching my portions and getting exercise but only losing like .8 lbs at most week in and week out. I even tried some of those green coffee bean pills that are supposed to magically melt off the weight. Nope, not for this sucker. I know there are some of you who feel my pain. And with kids to tend to, creating time to workout can be downright impossible most days. But, if I want to avoid purchasing an entire new wardrobe and thereby succumb to my new normal, I have to lose this weight. No excuses. Alright, enough of this. I'm going for a run.

Agree? Like this. Ideas? Please share!!

2 comments:

DizzcoDave said...

You are definitely not fat, bro!

marchie25 said...

I had my best results when I took a circuit training class in college. That's the best way to go. But it stinks, cause it's a willpower thing.