Thursday, May 8, 2014

Last (Days) Laugh

Do you ever have those moments when someone says something and you think of a really great response, but you know you could never say it because its, well... too mean?

One of the things that's been bothering me about the congregation I serve is that I get asked too few questions. I love being asked about what I think or about something from my life, etc, but people, young and old alike, around these parts are pretty tight-lipped. I can count on one hand how many times someone has asked me a personal question. I know I'm a bit more talkative and extroverted than most people around here who hail from Norwegian roots, and I get that, but I just wish people were more brave or insatiably curious to ask more questions or try to really stump me. After all, I like me and love to tell about my story as well as to come up with all sorts of explanations for the unexplained.

So you can about imagine my delight when I was sitting with a couple of old-timers the other day, when a lady (not a member of our congregation) asked me out of no where, "Pastor? Do you believe we're living in the last days?" I almost choked on the barbeque sandwich I was eating and seriously had to stifle my laughter.

Without hesitation I responded in all truthfulness, "No." I then went on to justify my position and put her heart at ease that no one knows the day or the hour when blah blah blah that the world will end. But what I wanted to say, but my brain intercepted and ruled against it before reaching my lips was: "Yes, Rose, I believe you are living in your last days."

I'm pleased to know that no matter how rusty I've gotten over the last few years, that I can still make myself laugh.

May you do something today as though it were your last. Life is too short not to find the funny, so bonus points for sharing with me that last great laugh you've either given or received.


No comments: