Monday, February 4, 2008

Conquering the Impossible



How can one put into words what has transpired in the last 24 hours? For those of you who witnessed the fall of the mighty Patriots in the Super Bowl, I'm sure you're still a little dizzy and shell-shocked. Wow. Super Bowl 42 will be remembered forever as the game that the ultimate "Goliath" was defeated by the ultimate "David." This NFL football season has seen many a goliath conquered and has taught me several important truths that I think I had started to doubt along the way - and it took this incredible game last night to stir my personal sleeping Giant inside. Witnessing the underdog of all underdogs prevailing - wow - I feel more alive this morning than I have in a long time. Something clicked last night, something truly came alive in the depths of my heart that has haunted me all night long. I need to let it out.

I am no sports writer, so I do not plan to recap how the New York Giants defeated the New England Patriots in dazzling fashion last night. I watched from beginning to end like many of you, and saw something amazing happen - proven winners like Brady, Bellicheck and the undefeated Patriots, fell to the heroics of Eli Manning, David Tyree and Tom Coughlin's Giants. "The Giants shocked everyone but themselves" and "We believed in each other" and "Every team is beatable" say the writers and players. All of these statements are true, no doubt about that, but to see them for what they really are is quite difficult. I confess that I had at some point secretly wanted to see the Patriots do it - that I would have been okay with seeing them cap a perfect season with a win over the Giants in the Super Bowl. I felt the game would be close through 3 quarters, then the Patriots would run away with it like they had for all of the season save for a couple last second saves against the Eagles and Ravens. I was going to cheer for the underdog, yes, but I did want the Patriots to win because I still felt that it was inevitable - The Patriots were too experienced, too powerful - too undefeated to lose to an underdog like the 2007 New York Giants. I was doing what so many of us football fans do - I was preparing myself for disappointment - rationalizing that despite my desire to see the miraculous, I might as well resign to see this Patriots "team of destiny" make history.

And then about half-way through the game, something clicked inside and stomped out those feelings entirely. I saw a Giants team putting everything they had onto that field (again) and sticking it to these unsinkable Patriots - they were not playing a game that they intended to see slip through their fingers at the end, no - they were playing to shock the world and prove to everyone that nothing was impossible. They were facing this giant just as a little shepherd boy named David had done many, many years prior. My heart stirred and truly believed it was possible - I officially abandoned my desire to see a perfect season in my lifetime and I put my whole heart in the Giants - I was no longer going to "be okay" with a Giants loss this day - I was going to pump my fists in victory like it was my Vikings, or I was going to grieve and sulk in defeat. I temporarily put my Viking pride aside and adopted the Giants - I wanted to see a Super Bowl miracle.


Sharing this game with actual New York Giants fans was such a joy. Sitting at the edge of our seats, or not sitting at all - that is what watching a game like this should be like. Having the opportunity to share in an experience with other loved ones who truly desired nothing less than seeing their home team win the Super Bowl - ahh, what a difference that makes. Sure we watched the game on the best television my eyes have ever seen, and ate from a food spread that was to die for - but the company we shared was the real treat. This was the best Super Bowl party I've ever been to - screaming in complete and total joy whenever the Giants sacked Brady, and grimacing and worrying when the Patriots got in the end zone...but to watch a stunning and odds-defying final drive that sent us all to frantic pacing and anticipation of the upset of all time becoming a strong possibility - AWESOME. There's no recapping the emotion that flooded that room when Eli connected with Plaxico for the go-ahead score with 30 seconds remaining - we jumped and hugged and screamed in joy, going hoarse with euphoria - I wouldn't trade that moment for the world.


It is no coincidence that 2008 has started with a recurring theme of "Facing Your Giants" for me. From watching the movie "Facing the Giants" to leading a small group at a Senior High Lutheran synod Retreat under the theme "Facing your Giants" to this NFL New York Giants team beating the ultimate giant of a team like New England - all signs are pointing to seeing the impossible and unconquerable personal giants defeated within my own life. I awoke resolved to stare fear in the eye, to change what needs changing, and to stand firm in the mighty promises of God - yes, this year is off to a great start. In 2008 my dreams are coming true (that means you Dave!), risks are being taken and faith is being lived - we'll be living on the edge and leaning on our faith in new ways. When Eli Manning lifted the Lombardi trophy last night, something lifted within my own heart - and I cannot be the same. I know this mountain top feeling will subside, but even when it does, the 2007 New York Giants will still be Super Bowl champions. Their accomplishment can never be erased, and like them, I too am determined to be different - better. Last night's upset was an encouragement to us all faced with uncertainty, challenge and insurmountable odds. We can know that with faith, hope, love and a little togetherness - anything can happen - even the impossible.


I dedicate this to you, Tom Trovato - congrats on your Giant victory. You and your team are world champions. I'm grateful that I could share in your joy! And to you little brother - I can't wait to see all that God has in store for us!

No comments: