Monday, February 18, 2008

Stuck in Slow Mo'

Let me just state the obvious: being out sick is not fun. Having little to no energy to write, let alone even read, is just plain terrible. I have been stuck in a slow motion time vacuum the last several days - taking more naps than a two year old, and watching more television than I care to admit. Oh, I'm now able to breathe through my nose for the first time since I came down with whatever it is that I've come down with - so having said that, I think you know where I'm coming from. I am still not 100% - probably around 80% - and picking up the last twenty units of health is still far reaching at the moment. I could go into more detail of what is wrong with me, but, let's just say that I am definitely not firing on all cylinders yet - but, I'm here, and that's good enough for the time being.

While sleeping for much of the last 4 days I have thought about my blog, and how I really couldn't raise up the energy to write, despite being out of work and home with plenty of time on my hands. I wanted to - but, I just couldn't do it. I forced myself to enjoy a warm February day last Friday, the second day of my battle against the infection infantry, and I went for a brief 30 minute walk around the neighborhood. By the time I returned, I was exhausted - actually out of breath - and I earned myself a longer than usual afternoon nap. I felt truly pathetic at that point. The nights were by far the worse - uncontrollable shivering, high body temps, dry lips, restlessness - I underestimated the extent of my illness. From what I hear, I am not the only one in this country right now that is dealing with this viral onslaught and sapping of strength. I feel comforted that I am not the only one dealing with congestion, plugged ears and lingering headaches - but it still stinks. But, my body is figuring the enemy out and making a surge of its own, and I know I will rise to 100% in a matter of days - I can see the light my friends, I will be back.

On a completely different topic, I have decided to embark on a new quest of self-discovery and growth. To be more specific - hair growth. Deciding to skip shaving during my illness, I was somewhat challenged by my beloved to see what kind of results I can achieve after at least two weeks of not shaving. To most men, this would be a welcome invitation - but to me, it will be nothing short of torture. I have zero confidence in my ability to grow a beard - I have given up numerous times before, and resolved to myself that "I cannot grow a beard." I have been very content with a freshly shaven "baby face," if you will. I have grown quite used to being mistaken for a teenager and I have no qualms with my inability to sport a cool goatee or Jesus-like beard. My wife however, thinks that I have simply not tried hard enough to truly know if this is the case. So, for the next week or two, I will try to once and for all convince the both of us that this ability is not in my genes- that I am indeed, meant to wield a razor for the rest of my life.

Yes, I am willing to experiment and I am more than willing to accept her challenge - but I am not going to enjoy this for 90% of the time. The irritation it causes and my constant need to run my hand over it will surely drive me insane. And then there are the looks I will surely be given by my co-workers, peers and passerby. It will be sheer agony to hold my tongue from spewing the truth of the matter - that I am by no means doing this because I think it "looks cool." On others, yes, it looks cool - for instance, my friend Matt grew a killer beard a few years ago - I was jealous - and my friend Andrew - hey, the man practically invented the cool goatee - but me? No - not so much. I'll keep you posted. Let the discomfort continue.

No comments: