Thursday, December 23, 2010

Kicking Cars

It is no secret that this winter has already dumped an insane amount of snow on the state of Minnesota. Snow has never really bothered me all that much (except for the type of snow which crunches underfoot, which makes me cringe like fingernails on a chalkboard.) It's the bitter cold temps that get me most upset. And yet, I must confess, without the combination of cold and snow, I would be robbed of a secret winter passion: kicking the ice chunks off of the underbelly of cars and wheel wells. There is no describing the surge of enjoyment I receive from dislodging a large, hard mass of ice and snow from the corners of a vehicle. I find myself lighting up whenever I see a car in need of a good kicking. In fact, I love this so much that I continually fight off the temptation to take care of other people's ice flaps, restraining myself only because of how ridiculous I'd look and that they might enjoy the act as much as I do.  I know I am not alone in this peculiar activity. When I stop to think about it all, it's really quite silly. I mean, it's not uncommon for me to practically injure myself in the process - some of those ice zits are really plastered onto cars - and yet, it's a challenge I've never turned down. And, now that I think of it, it's not only car ice I enjoy breaking apart - it's all ice.  Give me an ice chipper and a driveway or sidewalk full of ice, and I am good to go.  That reminds me of a time when I needed tools to take care of a car infected with ice-itis - the entire wheel well was stuffed... that was a great moment in my ice-breaking career. 

I am willing to offer my ice-breaking services to you this winter, should you make the arduous haul out to Dawson.  But, in the event that I don't see you or cross paths with your ice-infested vehicle, God Bless you in all your travels and your own car kicking adventures.

Merry Christmas!

Sincerely,
Keith "The Ice Breaker" Long

No comments: