Friday, December 31, 2010

Challenges, Surprises and Joys

The last day of the year 2010.  Along with the rest of the world, I too find myself looking ahead to the coming year and asking: What surprises, challenges and joys await me in 2011? 

The first surprise, challenge & joy will be when I become a parent for the first time - hooray!  Sometime within the time frame of January or early February, Rebecca and I will be welcoming baby Long to our family.  Are we ready?  Am I ready?  Everyone says you're never ready - and I agree - but there is a substantial part of me that disagrees, purely out of the excitement I have towards meeting our child in a few short weeks. Of course, the surprise of the gender looms - which has been cause for much curiosity and anticipation between Rebecca and I and everyone else. Many a person have shared with us their theory or Old Wives tale - which, I must admit, has added much intrigue. But, in the end, boy or girl, no one knows - it's all been just happy guessing. So, as it was nine months ago, we'll all just keep waiting to welcome 2011 surprise number one.  As a result of waiting to find out, I hope this decision to exercise patience and mystery dwelling will enable me to weather the surprises ahead in the coming year.  I've said it all along, life could always use a bit more 'mystery acceptance' - knowing the answers to everything isn't what life's goal should ever be.  I enjoy a good detective story as much as the next guy, but my experience has taught me to appreciate and respect the unknown; doing so can add so much more enjoyment and peace, even when the world says the opposite. 

As far as upcoming challenges...hmmm, let me think.... Well, there is the upcoming birth of our first child.  That might provide some challenge.  Rebecca's pregnancy has been a relatively smooth one, but the closer we get to the due date, the more freak out episodes arise for both of us. Like cramming for a test, we've been hitting the books these last 9 months, learning all we can about the do's, don't's and whatever's of pregnancy health, labor and delivery. It kind of feels like preparing for your driver's license test.  It's not only head knowledge you need to know, but you've got to be able to perform under the pressure - a passing score is only half of it, you have to be able to steer your vehicle and keep you and your test examiner safe.  My general attitude is that no matter what, we will pass the test and this baby will be born.  I expect to miss a few turns, forget to use my blinker and make a few rolling stops - but I know we will do "good enough" to bring this baby out of the womb and into our arms at last.  So, am I ready?  Three words: bring it on. (Although I cannot speak for Rebecca!)  All in all, I fluctuate between scared, anxious and excited for the labor and delivery process. The same feeling holds true for what happens NEXT - being a father.

I know there will be many surprises and challenges ahead, but nothing is more comforting and exhilarating than expecting to become a father for the first time.  The amount of joy that will accompany parenthood outweighs all of the other stuff waiting and lurking in the shadows of 2011. Labor and delivery prep aside, I've been spending an equal amount of time preparing for being a Dad.  I've been fully engrossed in the pages of my first parenting book called "SuperBaby" by Dr. Jenn Berman.  So far, it has provided plenty of information, mistakes, things to avoid, things to try and things to aim for in the first 3 years of life.  I've felt challenged, annoyed, overwhelmed and excited soaking up the author's research, suggestions and advice. Her goal is not for you to form some kind of "uberbaby," but rather, desires the reader to be opened to the many possibilities and pitfalls that accompany all young persons' development.  The book reminds me of the distinct calling and privilege it is to parent, mentor, minister to and form meaningful relationships with children. I may not do everything the book suggests, but I do hope to be the best father I can for my child as he/she continues to learn, learn, learn throughout their life-long journey. This learning and growing for all of us continues to inspire, comfort and provide the purest type of joy I've ever experienced.  

As I reflect on 2010 and all that I have learned, how much I've grown (or digressed) and where my paths might be leading, intersecting and turning for me in 2011, I feel confident in the assurance of God's presence throughout it all.

Happy New Year!

No comments: