Wednesday, January 26, 2011

The Lost Days

Still waiting. The baby could come any day now, but until then, we continue to wait. And wait. And wait. Rebecca's waiting is far more agonizing than my own for obvious reasons, but it doesn't negate the difficulty of my own waiting. Over the last few weeks I have been noticing a steady decline in my concentration and thought life.  Very little free space in my mind is occupied by anything other than baby stuff, I can tell you that. All the waiting has allowed ample opportunities to utilize full brain power to get some planning, writing and other things off my work "to do" list before Baby arrives and throws my life into a tailspin... So am I taking advantage of these final days pre-baby?  Not exactly.

I picked a heck of a time to watch the last season of "Lost." Ever a closet Lost fan, I saw season six on the shelf at the library a few days ago and couldn't resist. I want to see how it ends - I want some closure before it is inevitably spoiled for me down the line. And so, watching every night, we've been totally hooked, racing against the clock to finish it before Rebecca's labor hits. Of all the shows on television, I pick the one that scrambles your brain the MOST just before the arrival of our first child, who will no doubt have his/her own way with the scrambling of our thoughts!

I really wish I had more insight to share before I become a father, but I really don't. Unless of course you want to discuss relaxation techniques, breastfeeding or cloth diaper folding methods, the only other topic I could elaborate at length upon at this moment are my theories of this incredibly complex and intense TV series. Wow - this season so far has not disappointed this fan as he savors his number one TV 'guilty pleasure.'

As excited as I am to reach "The End" of Lost, it totally pales in comparison with how excited I am for "The Beginning" of Fatherhood... And so, I figure this is the week I conclude being Lost, complete with it's complexities and plot-twists and intensity, only to become Lost in a completely different, complex and intense way - Bring it on! 

4 comments:

Allison S. said...

Best wishes for the big arrival! Give my love to Rebecca!

James said...

Keith there are plenty of people who really disliked the last episode of LOST, but I loved it. I dare you not to cry.

When it comes to your bundle of joy . . . it all comes to you. Enjoy it. Plan on losing your mind at times. The first year is amazing. Each week brings a new milestone. The growth is more mind boggling than lost itself.


I can't wait for you to be a dad.

Heidi B. said...

AHH!! still waiting! It's friday now so maybe things have progressed......thinking about you guys-I admit I have been looking at your blog semi-obsessively to see if BABY has arrived (as I am sure you'll write a blog post first thing he/she arrives! ha. )
Can't wait to hear from you guys when you get a chance.

Anonymous said...

Hi Keith,

I just checked in on this blog to see if there was any baby news. :) Those last few days/weeks seem to take the longest. I can't wait to hear when there is a new little Becca or Keith in this world! Best of luck to both of you in the coming weeks!
Sara Karch