Friday, January 6, 2012

Travel Alert

In two days I leave for Israel to tour the Holy Land for 17 days. I am extremely excited for this opportunity of a lifetime. But I'll be honest, I'm also a little scared. The security situation in Israel-Palestine is uncertain, unstable, dangerous - you name it. I have not received any indication that our group will be intentionally placed in harm's way nor will we be traveling to those areas of conflict - but just the thought of being in the same country where so much blood has been shed is a bit unnerving to say the least. And yet, I cannot contain my excitement for being a part of something so intense - I expect my imagination and adrenaline will be greatly stirred - I have longed for this kind of adventure for some time now. It's going to be awesome!

I am also feeling sad at the thought of having to be apart from my wife and daughter for such an extended time. I am unsure how often I will speak with them and am pretty sure I won't see their faces for the duration of my travels. The time missed being together will surely weigh on my heart while I am away, and I am already looking forward to a joyful reunion upon my safe return!  I am so blessed to have had so much time with Natalie during the last few months of Daddy Day Care - I cannot describe here how much I adore and cherish this little girl. The same can definitely be said of Rebecca. The last time she and I were apart this many days we were still dating as she went to Guatemala for a month in college. I suppose it's my turn now. (The thought of being apart for 17 days causes me to give thanks for those in the military who do this ALL THE TIME. Their commitment is a powerful testament, regardless of where one stands on military involvement...)

Regardless of my concerns and fears, I know that God will be with me (and my family) every step of the way. It has always been my experience that in times of fear and uncertainty that the Holy Spirit is close - empowering, comforting and busy behind the scenes. This trip serves as a terrific way to draw close to God for some quality "God-bonding" and restoration of the soul. I expect to come home refreshed in the faith and eager to share what God is and has been up to while out of the country.

Stepping out of our comfort zones is necessity in my humble opinion. Whether it's taking a risk by putting the squeeze on our checking account and traveling to a country under a "travel alert" like Israel or committing to some never done it that way before kind of adventure or idea, I am continually inspired by a God who calls us to the fringes of life, to places that we fear and would otherwise avoid at all costs. 2012 will be a year unlike any I've ever faced. At this point, I'll either be heading into ministry full time as an ordained Pastor in the ELCA or I'll be putting that path on hold for one year in order to travel the world - two incredible opportunities and adventures of which I am eager (and terrified) to experience!  

But first: The Holy Land!


1 comment:

Andrew said...

Have a great time. You and the family will be in our prayers as you embark on this exciting opportunity. I am afraid though, the Muscle and Hustle of your fantasy picks will be in jeopardy when you return. - A&R