Sunday, January 15, 2012

The Wilderness

Our three days in Jerusalem were very full - and I enjoyed them immensely. But there is something equally exciting about the wild places - the rural, the open and the desert - the wilderness. We have stepped away from the crowds and the lines at various holy places like Jesus' manger, cross and tomb, (which were all very thought-provoking and meaningful in their own special way,) and now find ourselves immersed in the bromide filled air of the Dead Sea. Whether you are a history buff or not, the holy lands are fascinating in the large scope of human history. The Temple in Jerusalem blew my mind. It was so awesome to see in person and to visualize how life in the ancient times operated through this massive piece of architecture. I also really liked the Mount of Olives and the Garden of Gethsamene and Church of all Nations. I can't wait to have these places come to mind in my future reading of the scriptures.

One of the museums we stopped at on the way out of Jerusalem had a model of the Temple from 70 ad. It was incredible. Could've stayed a whole day there. Of course, I also pictured how cool it would have been breaking out the old GI Joes and having a hey-day amidst that Temple model, but maybe that's just me. On the way to the Dead Sea we stopped at Jericho, the oldest city on earth. Here we ate at "The Mount of Temptations Restaurant." Seriously. Yes, this is where the supposed temptations of Jesus took place, specifically the one where Satan takes Jesus up a high mount and offers the kingdoms of the world. The restaurant offered a monster buffet for its hungry American tourists. I did my best to refuse to "eat as much as you want" that the restuarant slogan touted by having only soup (broth) and bread. I was a tad appalled at how much food people put on their plates. Made me wonder if people from other countries loaded up as much food as we Americans often do. I have worked hard this trip at self-control, sometimes successful. Anyway, after lunch we went and looked at the oldest human structure ever made - a watchtower like thing made of stones which dates back 10,000 years! To stand at a place where people existed that long ago blows my mind. How can a picture capture a powerful fact like that? So I took some rocks, too.

And now I sit 1300 feet below sea level on the shores of the Dead Sea - the lowest place on earth. It can only go up from here. Literally. It's crazy to think how vastly different Jerusaelm and Ein Gedi are - one sits 2700 feet about sea level in the Judean hill country while the other is lower than low, on the coast of the salt filled waters of the Dead Sea. Both are beautiful in many different ways. Yesterday I experienced floating/levitating/flying in the waters of the Dead Sea. What an odd feeling. Lean back and up you float. No matter your position, the forces below simply would not allow you to sink. It was awesome. And I spent it in great company which made the moment even better! After that we smothered dead sea mineral mud on ourselves and baked in the sun, washing off with a warm and "refreshing" sulfur shower. Never thought bathing in sulfur would be refreshing, but it was. As long as you didn't get any in your eyes or mouth. Disgusting. Completing the spa package was a dip in the hot springs where I thought my legs were catching fire by the 21 plus minerals which were apparently making my skin healthier. Guess my complexion has never been better. Wish my wife were here to testify to that!

So today was reserved as a day of solitude, reflection and private prayer. I chose to go for a hike around the resort. Sat and reflected at an overlook of the Moab mountain range and Dead Sea (which gets its name partly due to the fact that no living thing lives in its depths) and sharing space with several ibex. An ibex is basically a small deer with huge curvy horns which could easily gore you. They were friendly though. I gave them some space anyway. I ended up discovering this sweet trail up the hill behind the resort. I didn't have much water, but being just outside the fence of the resort, I figured I was pretty safe. Don't worry, the story isn't going to end with me in a Jordanian prison accused of espionage. Although, I have to admit, that thought did cross my mind. What DID happen however, was that I had one of those awesome me and God moments where everything was beautiful, peaceful and epic - and I had to stop every three minutes or so and give God thanks for creation and the natural beauty and wonder all around me. I took a lot of pictures but I know they will simply not do it justice. So I get to the place where I am going to turn around and head back, but all I want to do is sit and take in the view around me. Two hikers come down the mountain at that moment and in limited English encourage me to keep going up to the summit. "Two hours up and one hour down." Tempting. But then I notice a big sign next to the trail that says "border zone, no access without permit." I try to decline without seeming like a wuss. He gives me a liter of water. Any other country, I would have been on my way up. But, no passport on me and images of news headlines made the decision easy. I could hear a waterfall in the near distance. Wanted to go so bad. But, I stayed and worshiped God with Psalm 84 (my personal trip text) and some much needed prayer and quiet time. Tomorrow we are back on the road to the wilderness of Israel. I still miss home and my loved ones, but email and phone calls have made all the difference - not to mention finally being able to sleep through the night. Blessings to you all - let me know if you have any questions, would love to hear from you!

No comments: