Thursday, July 26, 2007

Potter Mania!

This week, one of the best and most anticipated books released - Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. My wife and I LOVE this series and have been engrossed since Sunday, when I couldn't wait the 24 hours more in order to get my hands on a reserved library copy, and went and bought it at Barnes and Noble. I even took the day off on Monday, and was off to the races, page after page - I was at least 300 pages in by the end of the day. I tore myself away to do chores around the house, my mind still grappling with all that I had read. Then, with Rebecca quite a ways behind me, I decided that I was at the point of no return on Tuesday - so I paused and have been allowing her to catch up. And now, here we are - two long days later, (I've been re-reading sections of it just to stay in the frenzy - savoring every last page of this amazing journey with Harry and the gang) and we were able to read it aloud last night, discovering new territory together for the first time since Sunday night when we first obtained it. And I must say, it is quite enjoyable as we experience this saga together - totally worth the agony of waiting. But, I knew that had I finished, I would be busting at the seams to talk about it (and not being able to would be twice the agony I'm sure), so knowing that we'll finish together and can talk about it as we go through the last 150 pages or so, well - its a wonderful and exciting feeling. So, now that I have spoken of my feelings of this incredible ride, I will post a special blog from Rebecca:

As flew into work atop my shiny green dragon (no longer a dinosaur), I felt the breeze in my hair and on my face, causing me to nearly choke on the fresh air that entered my lungs. It was an exhilarating ride, filled with curves, rolling hills, and strenuous climbs. Perspiration beaded on my face and my hair whipped behind me. Now this was living. As I rounded another corner, signaling to others around me to “look out!” (my dragon won’t stop until reaching the final destination), I felt that familiar tugging on my arms a shoulders. Deep lines in my skin not yet visible, made their presence known as they cut and rubbed. I remembered the reason for my sacrifice. Not because dragons are more fuel efficient, although this is true. Not because this is the only mode of transportation and dragon parking is free (chains not included). But because flying is so exciting! Another turn and I felt the treasure on my back poking and prodding. It seemed to grown heavy and burdensome. The dragon let out a huge belch of fire and I was speeding once more…must…reach…destination…I thought back to the heavy, but precious cargo I was carrying. I would have easily given up my food supply for the day to avoid leaving my cherished fortune behind. The end was in sight. With another burst of energy, I leaned forward and urged the dragon to push on. Finally, we came to a stop. The air grew thick and humid and there was no longer a breeze. I dismounted the dragon and turned my attention to my pack. I peered into the bag and saw the bright orange paper smiling back at me. Letting out a sigh, I realized we had made it. I chained up the dragon and walked inside to store my treasure until the time when I would be able to open the tiny world again. Feeling good about my accomplishments, especially so early in the morning, I went about my day…ever mindful of the 759 page saga waiting for me. It’s amazing the sacrifices (and adventures) that we’ll take when it comes to a book, especially for Harry Potter.

1 comment:

Bertina Işık Yalçınkaya said...

Merhaba size Türkiye'den sevgiler getirdim. Kabul ederseniz sizinle blog arkadaşı olmak isterim, sevgilerimle.