Monday, July 2, 2007

Waiting to Soar


The quote "One cannot consent to creep when one feels an impulse to soar" (Hellen Keller) must have been written in relation to the many complaints voiced over time in relation to roller coaster line waiting at amusement parks across the globe. Well, even if Ms. Keller did not intend for her quote to be compared to my experience at Busch Gardens Europe in Williamsburg, Virginia - that is certainly how I felt yesterday as I consented to creep ride after ride after ride. Yes, I am a thrill seeking, speed, loops and leg dangling roller coaster fanatic - I love the sensation of a good coaster on a worry free summer day. Yesterday was no exception - my first time to Busch Gardens was awesome - I thoroughly enjoyed every minute of it (excluding the 3-4 hours of waiting in line.) As for the rest of the 7 minutes of rides or attractions that we enjoyed for a minimal fee of 55 dollars plus parking - nothing but positive feelings and happiness. Good times indeed.

So, I can definitely disagree on certain levels with Ms. Keller - it seems that one can absolutely consent to creep when one feels an impulse to soar - just take the millions of visitors every year to parks like Busch Gardens or Six Flags. We all consent - volunteer - to creep in endless switchbacks on a tortorous crawl towards some amazing thrill rides that last a fraction of the time we waited for them. Why do we do this? What on earth would say 'yes' to this inside our brains? Is it not crazy to convince ourselves that waiting in the hot sun amongst complete strangers for an hour or longer in order to ride a roller coaster ride that will last no longer than two minutes (usually less than that if you take out the time it takes to climb the first hill)? YES! I am completely crazy to do so! And yet, I can't help it. I must. There is a feeling deep inside that yearns for the lightning fast adventure and mystery that is the coaster. I cannot help but put myself through the absolute hell of line waiting, time after time. And, I have made it considerably harder on myself lately- I 've been going it alone. My wife lovingly waves goodbye to me as I enter the line - and sits and waits patiently for me to quench my thirst for adventure. She too, is crazy. She is getting nothing out of her waiting. Her only satisfaction is in my enjoyment, which is absolutely amazing. I love this woman. Her discipline to abstain from the world of coasters is inspiring - knowing her limits, she sits it out rather than joining me in line in order to ride and then get sick from the 30 second blitzkrieg of adrenaline. My stomach can handle it, but lately, it seems my tolerance and patience is growing weak.

I wait and I wait and I wait some more. I eavesdrop on the conversations around me. Some girls from Tennessee - where are they from, that accent is strong?! - are with their boyfriends and talking about the sales tax in Virginia. A group of thugs behind me are playing with their cell phones. People watching. That's all I can do, I can't even think - or even pray - I can't do anything constructive whatsoever, I have to just dumb down my mind and stand and creep every 3 minutes - almost to the turn - YES - a new view, woohoo! It's really quite pathetic. And then, finally, after what has seemed like hours of mindless boredom and waiting, I arrive at the corrale that will place me on this adventure in a mere 4 or 5 minutes. I am simultaneously asking and telling myself that it will be worth it. And it is - oh my friends - it most certainly is. The joy, laughter, fear and excitement that the drops, twists and bursts of speed send rushing through my body - YES - I exit in pure satisfaction. I tell my wife all about it and I gulp water for my throat aches from all the yelling. Ahh, what a high it is. And then we walk to the next ride, and slowly, the high disappears and I am back in the hell of line waiting.

It's much better when I am not alone. Even if the conversation is minimal, being with someone is much much easier and more enjoyable while trapped in the confines of the lines. So, even when I feel the impulse to soar solo once more, I decide to hold out for a ride that I can enjoy with my wife. And the joint rides are more enjoyable too - the shared experience overpowers the solo one hands down. I love experiencing something amazing and fun with a friend, family member or my wife. I will still brave the line occassionally on my own, and enjoy the thrill of the power coasters that are too much for my wife, but for now, I'll try to catch one when there's like a 15 minute wait instead of 50.

In the end, I know that all of the above is truly a metaphor for life. I could spell it out in detail- but I think for now, I will just leave it at that. 95% of life is spent in line, waiting for the next high - the next adventure - and then, in the blink of an eye, its over. I'd prefer to spend that 95% with those that I love - and then to share our experiences together, whether joyful or challenging outcomes - because in the end, that is what is most important.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are absolutely right on. And how many lines I've waited in! I love the comparisons you always manage to weave into your writing. Funny at the same time as inspiring!!

Anonymous said...

What if 95% of life was not spent waiting around? What would that be like ... and what would it give you? What if you showed up at Busch Gardens or Six Flags and there were no line? What would you do differently, if anything?

Just some thoughts and something to think about...

Anonymous said...

I understand and appreciate the fact that you realized the importance of potentiallly 'skipping the thrills' in order to spend quality time with others. I, like Rebecca, cannot handle the coasters; constantly holding onto purses and bags as friends walk away with looks of excitement and curiosity. That was nice of you--to skip some of your favorites to spend time with Becca. I know she appreciates it...the waiting gets long, for all involved. Love you.

upwithsnax said...

What parallel lives we live! I being the one waiting on the sidelines as my thrill seeking husband creeps through another line. Yet as I sit there waiting I find myself people watching and wishing he was by my side. But when I see him exiting the ride with a smile from ear to ear I know it was worth it.

marchie25 said...

Hello!

Yes, I agree that we often are anticipating many events, and the anticipation of said events sometimes overshadows the actual "event".

I was sorry to miss the Class Reunion, but I had to make a strong choice for my (and Kara's) future.

Hope all is well, I may start up my blog again. I'll let you know. Talk to you soon! JM

Unknown said...

Keith, this was lovely. But, it reminds me of some unbelievable pictures that were taken, I think was it Wild Thing at Valley Fair? You must have stood in line at least 4 times to get those right!