Friday, March 7, 2008

Holding the Helm

One of my favorite things about living in Virginia is being able to begin the Spring season in March. I've been seeing flowers coming up and buds popping more and more the last couple days - it's wonderful. It's fun to see things poking out of the ground and temps warming just enough to encourage the new growth from the earth. With zero snow throughout the winter, the change in surroundings from brown and barren to green and lively is very welcomed. Sure, we lose an hour of sleep - but we gain more sunlight, and this is great since I work in a basement cave 40 hours a week. I am looking forward to getting out more - perhaps I'll even take up running once again, since my "it's too cold" excuse will soon be unusable.

Speaking of new growth - my "beard" continues to fill out.... oh I wish that statement were true. In reality, it's darkening, but not really "filling out." In fact, I am now noticing more patches of non-growth - I even have a little Harry Potter lightning bolt bald patch going on the side of my face - which has neither the cool significance nor the prestige of Mr. Potter's mark. So, even though I have committed myself to going another 3 weeks without shaving, I know that Easter morning will surely be the day it all comes off. I will be very surprised if I have any "bushiness" by then. But hey, I tried.

On a more serious note, I find myself waiting in faith in so many major areas of my life lately - house, job, future etc. I know the path ahead of me is full of uncertainty, and I am finding that these are the times when having faith are essential to my personal emotional survival. I've had my share of downs, and my faith continues to hold me up or pick me up off the ground or give me a swift kick in the butt - but over all, I know that this is what life is all about. A quote comes to mind, "Anyone can hold the helm when the sea is calm." This quote reminds me that it is in times of crisis and chaos that we find out what we're really capable of. More than that, it is when we find out what God is capable of...

Looking to your faith and leaning on God's care and guidance is never easy to explain or grasp, and yet, I know this is truth for me. This is what being "Christian" is to me - and despite my battle with doubt and fear just like every other human on the planet, I know that Christ lives in me and will see me through whatever the crisis or challenge. As much as I find myself wanting the details, the plan of attack, the escape route and the answers, I know that these are insignificant in the end, for all that really matters is that I trust not in my own capabilities, but in His.

So if your spring is as full as mine with busyness, change and/or trials, don't forget to put things in perspective and trust the One who can hold the helm better than any other...

"I lift my eyes up to the hills - where does my help come from? My help comes from the Lord, the Maker of heaven and earth." Psalm 121:1,2

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I suggest a "handel bar chops" look. Nothing says pysco killer like that look!


kickball guru,
Scott Hayes

Anonymous said...

Matt Ott says and he quotes from a highly read magazine " as he stroke her public hairs"


Word

Unknown said...

Life without snow in the winter? Woah!