Thursday, March 27, 2008

Letting Grow

The great beard experiment continues into its seventh week. There is no way I could have predicted that I would last this long in forgoing shaving for 7 weeks. I inadvertently happened into this experiment when I became ill during the second week of February, and as is custom when out of the public eye for extended periods of time, I ignored my shaving routine and let it grow. Upon my return to good health, I planned to get back to having a nice smooth cut, but life had other plans. I was dared to grow a beard by my dearest wife, and since I've never been able to turn down many challenges in my lifetime, I accepted and set out to put the case to rest that I could NOT grow a traditional beard but that I was meant to have a baby face for the rest of my life.

When I reached the challenge end date of two weeks with some difficulty due to itchiness and embarrassment, I decided it was only right to silence her once and for all by continuing on for another two weeks to make it an even month. Then I reached that milestone and something had changed - I had started to become attached to my beard. Despite the awkward bald patches and strands of gray hairs scattered throughout, I had miraculously gone from annoyance to satisfaction and pride. I decided it was only fitting to let it grow for another two weeks and shave it off at Easter - the perfect time for a fresh face and new beginning. I conducted a poll to see what public opinion was of my latest facial change, and surprisingly, 45% of you liked it. I was certain that everyone fell into the "That is NOT a beard" or "Shave it off ASAP" opinions, but to my secret delight, I was not the only one that was liking the new look. I know I still have some critics and non-likers out there, but over all, it's really starting to grow on me (pun intended.)

Upon cruising by Easter and still not shaving, I repeated the familiar phrase of "another two weeks" to myself and all who asked and inquired. I admit, there is still a part of me that occasionally feels the need to suddenly pick up the razor and bring back the smooth - but then I gaze upon this handsome-rugged face looking back at me in the mirror and I melt with "how can I?" I've added a new friend - oh, he's not perfect by any means, but my beard has now been with me through the ups and downs of the last 45 days - it has become a part of me that I am just not yet ready to part ways with. I could make it to an even two months and decide that I am going to keep going without any more deadlines or calendar checkpoints - I could decide that I am going to keep it around longer just because I want to. Or, I could get close to or past the 2 month milestone and conclude that enough is enough and its time to return to my roots as a clean shaven 10 years younger looking man. I just don't know at this point. When I get a comment from someone, there is still a part of me that becomes self-conscious and defensive, and I need to let them know that it wasn't my idea and that I am just doing it for kicks. Then its like my beard calls me out and I feel like I've insulted it, and my way of making it up is by keeping it around a little while longer.

So, there you have it. I am officially crazy about my beard. I have achieved the once thought impossible "bushiness" and am definitely sporting a real beard at this point in the game. Many friends have reported that it takes them half the time to achieve their full strength beards - and I'm okay with that. I'm proud to say that I've gone this long and quite content with keeping the razor on the shelf for the time being. 15 days remain until I reach the next milestone, and as much as I tell myself now that 2 months will certainly mark the end of the road and I will be letting go - I think its safe to say that for now, I'm happy with just letting grow instead.

No comments: