Friday, March 14, 2008

Path of Presence


My journey has taken me over some bumps, landslides and detours, and I continue to find myself pondering anew this mysterious world we find ourselves immersed in. We all have our different ways of staying upright and moving forward, and most of the time, we can look to these inner compasses to get us back to safety. For me, I know I can always look to the Bible for wisdom, inspiration and comfort. Scripture and prayer have a way of centering and keeping me upwardly focused and inwardly grounded, rather than spiraling downward and out of control. My other foundation has always been my family. I have truly been awakened to the great power and strength available to me in the ears, hearts and love of my family. When we find ourselves doubting the presence of a greater power at work or questioning His existence altogether in this pain-filled and sorrowful world, we need not wait long for a sign. Although behind the scenes most of the time, God always hears our cries for help. He dwells among us in the smile and laugh of a friend and the embrace and support of a cherished companion. Recently, I have discovered another resource for guidance - the ancient way of the Celts, from the book "The Path of Celtic Prayer" by Calvin Miller. Their way of life centered around the power of the Holy Trinity and the ever-presence of the Three-in-One in nature and creation. "Their fervor in prayer washed their world in a vital revival." These truths practiced by the ancient Celtic Christians have made my troubled path feel a little less rocky and perilous as once perceived. With that said, I'd like to share with you a "long wandering prayer" that has touched my heart out of this week's reading:
"Father of all humankind, who keeps my journey and marks the horizon of my destiny, love me through my journey toward tomorrow.

Son of God, leader and keeper of the maps, show me not the whole road at once, but give me the distance to be gained in single steps.

Spirit of God, who holds my inner compass, may your presence on the journey awaken trust within me when I don't know what lies around the bend.

God bless to me this day, then I shall make my journey by sunlight and know the way.

Christ, bless to me this uncertain step, then I shall find the step more certain.

Spirit, bless to me this lonely moment, then I shall not be alone.

O Three-in-One, do guard my steps.

Travel with me God,
and I shall travel with the darkness at my back and the Sunlight on my face.

Travel with me Christ.
Then I shall mute the thunder, and walk through lightning unafraid.

Travel with me Holy Spirit,
and my solo anthem shall have accompaniment throughout the journey.

I am coming to you O Three-in-One.
One day at a time,
one hour at a time,
one step at a time.
Amen."

No comments: