Thursday, October 2, 2008

The Heavy Walkers etc.

The new adventure here at Luther Seminary has been underway for a month - which is precisely the amount of time it takes for a person like me to recognize and share a few particular pet peeves that have reared their ugly heads. So, here is a list of those things - which I hope will not be seen as pity-collecting, but more so as a therapeutic release for my soul. I will also accept your pity. It is after all, our human nature to complain. Not only is it human nature, but it's Biblical nature, remember those Israelites?? Well, enough of my justifying - on with the list!

1. The Heavy Walkers in apartment 310.
Rebecca and I live in apartment 210 and have been so cursed with neighbors above who like to make their presence extremely known whenever they are in their apartment, sharing the floor (our ceiling) with us. Ah, apartment living. I often wonder to myself and aloud just what it is that the heavy walkers are doing up there. I feel like they are pounding each step - huffing around up there for all to hear. It makes me very aware and cautious of my own walking around our apartment - and I am convinced that they are simply acting disrespectful and rude with all that noise. Why do they need to walk so much anyway? Come in, sit down, maybe move to the kitchen, sit again - what on earth warrants so much movement?! Instead of love for my neighbor, it has caused nothing but bitter disdain. We've never met each other, which might be part of the problem, but I don't think I can be friends if I met them now. I will never forget the first time we made eye contact in the stairwell one day. They were up in their place making all sorts of heavy steps and thunderous movements and then it stopped just as Rebecca and I were leaving. Then, here they come down the stairs and there was a moment of split silence as he and I exchanged looks - I knew it was him and he knew that I knew - and then it was over. But every time I see him on campus, my lips curl and I feel the bitter boiling inside. Terrible I know - but c'mon - softer steps people!

2. Everybody knows nobody.
The community building here isn't exactly what I dreamed of when I wanted to be a residential full time student. I've met a handful of classmates that are cool and would consider them to be friends. Everybody else just sticks to themselves - eliciting in me nothing but a longing for those chatty, pleasant folks in the Old Dominion who can't stop asking you how you're doing, who you are and what you do for a living. "Minnesota Nice" is a myth as far as I'm concerned at the present moment. I have no problem introducing myself and breaking the ice with people, but it's tough when it feels like you're the only one willing to stick your neck out socially. A new friend and I were discussing this campus climate crisis and she pinpointed it: everybody assumes that everyone knows one another. When in fact the opposite is true - everybody knows nobody and the only ones who know each other don't seem too interested in knowing more people. I am determined to building community here, but so far I'm not impressed.

3. The Vikings.
Put it together Vikes - it's embarrassing. What's worse is that at least in Virginia I could join in misery with Redskins fans. Now they're doing awesome and I can't even be there to share their happiness. I will still don my Adrian Peterson jersey with purple pride every Sunday - victory or no - there will be no jumping ship now that I'm here to see them play.

4. I'd probably complain about the weather here, but it's not quite time.
Chilly? Yes. But it's still a joy to be outside for the time being. This will change. I know. But let's just forget about it for now.

That is about it - which is a good thing. I enjoy my classes and the work that goes with them (insert collective gasp here.) My call to ministry is reaffirmed just about every day that I sit in class and soak up all the knowledge that I previously wasn't privy to. I'm becoming a more balanced student by the week and am handling the transition into student life just fine. There are other things I'm not used to yet, but those will come with time. I'm already looking forward to Thanksgiving and Christmas break - you know, those student perks won't be around forever. As for the pet peeves - let's all hope those won't be around forever either.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Keith and Rebecca,

I was think of you two as I drove back from a meeting yesterday! It sounds like that for the most part all manner of things are well. I, too lived in an apartment with "heavy walkers" above, and I feel your pain and lack of sleep!! Miss you. Rachael D.

Anonymous said...

if i lived in 310 i'd put in a basketball hoop